- liking a piece of media does not automatically mean you think it is perfect or agree with its creators
- even if you are not openly critical of it
- because you don’t HAVE to be openly critical of it
- there is an enormous difference between being an apologist for something and wanting to dwell on the good parts of a thing you like because it makes you happy, please stop conflating these two things
- not talking about the flaws of a thing does not mean you do not recognize the flaws of a thing
- nobody has to apologize for liking what they like and nobody should be shamed for liking a thing
- your fave is problematic too
- you are not a better person than someone just because your favorite piece of media is less problematic than theirs
- you aren’t
#i dont have the time nor the energy to be constantly inserting footnotes about how x thing is problematic in x way #i have to be positive to preserve my own sanity
Also sometimes I think that a piece of media I like isn’t problematic, whether people disagree or not, and I’ll defend it. Just because someone, even a lot of people, think something is problematic, doesn’t make it so.
(Source: mugglibus, via timeywimeyhobbit)
forthegothicheroine asked: Top five novels
Thanks! The first one is my favorite (and obvious), and the others are in no particular order.
2. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
3. Great Expectations
4. The Plague
5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (just one to represent the whole series)
(Source: askboxmemes, via professor-perfect31)
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adherent to a simple set of rules. Test ideas by experiments and observations. Build on those ideas that pass the test. Reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson, Cosmos
The section on domestic violence in my gen psych class demonstrates just how fully violence against men has been erased and minimized. I’m unsettled by the idea of all of my classmates leaving that class with the notion that male victims are a minority and usually to blame for their abuse.
.. and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. - Matthew 27:52-53
According to the bible, there was a zombie invasion of a major Roman city, but strangely there is no other record of the event.
(Source: curlyms, via hogansheroeslover1964)
Women make up 49.5% of the world
Do 2/3 of the labor
But only own 1% of the wealth
So ima need u to shut the fuck up if u think sexism doesn’t exist
Actually, not even The Atlantic wants a piece of that one.
US single women alone triple that figure.
Also, maybe you want to rethink repeating stats Robin Morgan made up, you know, considering she’s a raging transmisogynist.
And Harvard Business review finds American women controlling 51.3% of American wealth, which assuming that Canada, Britain, France, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark are all misogynistic hellholes where women (and really, we mean ciswomen as your use of Morganite bullshit demonstrates) are barred from owning any and all property, that still leaves about 11% of the world’s wealth controlled by American women alone.
Things that I love:
Things that I hate:
So, I’ve realized I’m basically a 19th century temperance advocate without the racism or religion.
It’s super creepy how obsessed Tumblr is about dictating straight men’s sexuality. Like, maybe someone just doesn’t think about aspects of male beauty and genuinely doesn’t find men themselves aesthetically appealing. Oh, and they have to be attracted to all of the things women demand they be attracted to. Women can be attracted to whatever traits they want, but with men there are certain physical traits they have to find appealing, or they’re bad people.
How about we just let people be attracted to whoever they want and have whatever aesthetic tastes they want.
So yesterday I attempted to get my friend into the show. I kid you not, ten minutes into the pilot she’s all like “are they lovers or something?”
Oh hon, you have no idea.